Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tezuka

Back in my early days of High School, I was introduced to many kind of japanese animation that wasn't on channels like Toonami and Adult Swim. One of the shows I watched was Metropolis which was a japanese animation based on the old 1927 black and white film. The animation was so colorful and vibrant and the backgrounds were incredibly detailed and varied. I learned that the films was based off the manga of the same name and the author of the novel was a man named Osamu Tezuka.

For this assignment I took at look at some of his works that includes Astro Boy and Adolf. Adolf was about 2 boys named Adolf who live in Japan during WW2 and the troubles that come to them. Tezuka's other works is Astro boy is undoubtedly his most famous work and is about an android who was designed after a father's deceased son who saves the world from evil robots.

From reading both works, I realized that he sometimes reuses character designs throughout his works. For example there is always a character with a large nose and a tubby body that usually plays a detective in his works despite the stories being completely different in terms of design or time.

Despite his cartoony styles, his stories are usually very serious usually with a lot of character depth and emotional scenarios. I always thought that his works were mostly for more mature audiences than for younger ones although I watched his stuff when I was younger because his works reminded me of Disney's cartoons, but with fighting robots.


No comments:

Post a Comment